Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sabbatical Sojourns

It's the day before I leave on my 11 week journey to South America. The office has been cleaned, as well as the house. The bags are nearly packed. And the summer student has arrived. I'm ready to go. But why this Sabbatical Sojourn? Why to South America?

I have developed this itch for traveling. It really only began in 2000, when I did a five week exploration of Europe and Egypt. Since then I've done some major trips, including southern Africa for nine weeks and Australia for three months. Each time you think you're in the trip of a lifetime and that this trip will be the last major trip. But one trip just spurs you to do another.

And so now I'm on my way to South America--Venezuela, Brazil, and Argentina. Why here? Because it was an area of the world I had not explored. (I have been in Peru but that will be very different than this region). Asia is the other part of the world I need to visit, but the climate fit better for SA. (Asia is heading into Monsoon season). But after SA, South-East Asia will be high on the list of areas to explore--perhaps Thailand some winter.

Why now? Well, I've been in Williamsburg for 4.5 years. A good break will allow me to come back refreshed and rejuvenated. It's like getting a new start, but already knowing the lay of the land. A good break allows me to break some of the ruts I've been in (eg. like my messy office), and come back with renewed vision to work on certain areas of ministry.

I hope to update this blog at least once a week, depending on availability of Internet access. In this way, family and friends can follow my sojourn. I don't know whether I can post any pictures. That requires too much time and high speed connection. Besides, I don't want to spoil the Dessert Social.

For those who want to know more about the trip, they can check out the Dragoman Website. The journey code is JBV and I am on the June 16th departure from Caracas. (I am arriving in Caracas a few days early in order to acclimatize to the 30 degree plus weather.)

4 comments:

  1. I could not find a way yet to sign in. So just a quick note to say I arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear that you had a safe flight and a safe taxi ride to your hotel. Jack VG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time. May the Lord be your guide in this adventure. RJ Bosman

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are glad you are having a nice time. We are doing OK here except Alice who has shingles since last week. Hope she will feel better soon. Yesterday we had pastor Matt in both services. Things went OK. Last week was cool and often rainy, this week promises to be quite warm. Our mayor passed away in his sleep on Wed.
    Have a great time travelling. Jim & Alice & Milton

    ReplyDelete