Sunday, August 30, 2009

Iguazu Falls

Save the best for last.

After a long day drive, we went from Bonito to Iguazu Falls. We left the rain behind and arrived in brilliant sunshine, which we enjoyed the three full days we were here. This is the last major stop before Buenos Aires and the end of my trip. The best was saved for last.

On the first day, though, we saw the large dam on the river between Brazil and Paraguay. It is one of the largest in the world and we were able to get a good tour of it, both inside and outside of the dam. In the afternoon, I went to a bird park. While I perfer to see the birds in the wild, this park allowed a close up view of some I saw only from a distance and others I was not able to see.

But the main attraction here is Iguazu Falls. On the second day, we viewed it from the Brazilian side, the third day from the Argentinian side. Words and even pictures can not describe the beauty, majesty, and immense scale to these falls. It put Niagara Falls to shame. It is three times larger. It is even more impressive than Victoria Falls (in Africa) or Angel Falls (in Venezula). It was simply awe inspiring and we were able to get up close and personal, through boardwalks and even a boat ride that got us drenched. This was the highlight of my three month journey.

After the Falls, we drove three days to get Buenos Aires, where we just arrived. We had two nice campgrounds along the way and enjoyed the beautiful weather. I now have a few days in BA, before my journey home.

1 comment: