Thursday, August 6, 2009

Truck Troubles

It´s Thursday and this morning we were all excited to be heading from Ouro Preto to Rio, where we should have arrived this afternoon. However, 20 km from Ouro Preto our truck developed problems--a major problem. The air compressor went (key to shifting gears and braking). As a result, we´re now waiting in a little hick town for repairs. The goal is to have it done by 6pm and head into Rio--perhaps arriving by 2am. While I do have a lot of time in Rio, others are leaving fairly soon after arriving. (Rio is the end of the second leg of my trip). As a result, this delay is a major disappointment for those whose time in Rio is very limited. It also means our final group dinner will no longer be possible. After several hours of searching, I finally found an internet place, so that I can write this and fill in some time. Hopefully, the wait will only be a few more hours.

...Well 6pm became 8pm. But at least we could leave. Unfortunately because the problem wasn´t completely solved the truck was not up to its full speed. As a result, it took nearly 12 hours to get to Rio. We arrived at our hotel at 7:30am. (One small delay was being pulled over by police who were curious about the truck and took pictures of it.) So we missed a good night sleep. But we could shower in a room and have a good breakfest.

Afterwards, I took a taxi for my hotel for the next six nights. (I´m on my own until the third leg of the tour starts on the 13th.) My hotel is close to Ipanema and Copacabana beaches of Rio. Now I just have to wait for the sun to come out. Its cloudy and 22 degrees.

1 comment:

  1. we r enjoying ready your blog and thank you for the time you put into it. good to hear you are about the adventures, planned and unplanned! cheers e&t vg

    ReplyDelete