Thursday, August 13, 2009

Relaxing in Rio

Tonight (thursday the 13th) we have our group meeting where I will meet all the new travellers for the third leg of my journey. I am the only one from the second leg continuing on (except of course the crew of 2). Tomorrow we leave Rio.

So for the last week, I have been relaxing in Rio, on my own. So what have I been doing?
-walking along the beach, as well as entering into the water (the water is fairly decent to swim in, with plenty of waves to play in)
-going to the markets to buy souvenirs (though this trip will not have many souvenirs as other trips--but plenty of pictures)
-going to a professional football (soccer) game in the 120,000 seat stadium, with crazy Brazilian fans on all sides of us.
-a city tour that took in `Christ the Redeemer´ the famous statue that overlooks the city, as well as Sugarloaf mountain that also provided fine views, as well as a few other spots
-when it rained Tuesday morning, sorting out laundry, banking and eventually finding a bird guide book (I´ve tried to find a bird guide book ever since I arrived in South America and after several hours in many bookstores in Ipanema, I found one. Expensive, but I bought it)
-phoning mom on my birthday
-renting a bike and biking along the coast, going 35km before turning back; after 15 km back with more head wind, my legs rebelled, so I took taxi the rest of the way back (which gave me a greater appreciation for those who did the Sea to Sea bike tours).

It´s been good to have this week in Rio, but it has been expensive. I´ve also been spoiled--a great hotel room to myself. Back to share accomodations, in hotels that often don´t have hot water, or camping; as well as group meals.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!!!! (just a LITTLE late...) It's been great fun reading of your adventures, but can't wait to see the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!! sounds like you had a great week relaxing, it is good to spoil yourself!
    enjoy the the next leg of your trip! God Bless!
    erin&tim vg

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are still counting birthdays, Happy Birthday! I havent started too many fires for you to put out and we have survived here so far. We do think and pray for you and hope for your safe return.
    I hope that you like what I have done with your place. Sorry if that last sentence causes great anxiety. Nothing is so permanent that it cannot be put back the way it was before.
    Enjoy!
    Pastor Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! We were out camping that week but did think of you on your special day. We are glad that you are having a blast, and we continue to pray for you. God bless! Only 21 more sleeps left! ;-) Enjoy the rest of your journey! Lianne

    ReplyDelete