Monday, July 15, 2013

First rain ride

The climate did change and as for the landscape we couldn't see it for a while.

On Sunday night a system came through bringing rain. While most were staying in the school, a few of us stuck it out in our tents. Despite the rain overnight, I think I slept better than if I had to share open hall space. In the morning, it was overcast, allowing me to pack the tent in dry weather. But as we headed out of Colorado Springs, the rain began again. It rained for the next two hours, with heavy fog, which made seeing riders ahead of us difficult. It got down to 53 degrees F. It was cold and miserable. But misery loves company. We just continued on. Slowly the weather improved. The rain stopped and the fog lifted. A cross wind developed.

Into two-thirds of the 120 km route, we stopped at a small town cafe, for a coffee and cinnamon bun. This allowed us to warm up. We completely overwhelmed the two person staffed cafe. They couldn't make coffee fast enough. But it was what we needed. Eventually the sun came out and we are dried out by the time we reached camp.

Staying tonight in a small town called Limon,

p.s. Discovered that if I put my front light on, it interferes with my screen that tells me how fast I am going, as well as mileage. So my odometer will be off by at least 25 kms.

No comments:

Post a Comment