Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Surprise Visit

So I am stopping on the road, because my tire was slowly get flat, in order to change it. Along side comes an old pickup truck, which slows down beside us. I am expecting a local person willing to offer some assistance. But when I look, it was Ralph and Marge Norg (members of my church). They had come to visit me. What a turn of events for what otherwise would have been my most miserable day so far.

It was a miserable day because of the rain. It rained off and on for the whole ride. Sometimes it was dry, other times it was just a light drizzle, but other times it was simply raining. Add to that a flat and then a slow leak, which I pumped up from time to time. At camp, we found the little piece of wire that caused it. The tube was replaced. Hence, two flats for the day. The rain and the flats slowed us down, so that I arrived I camp past 3pm (for a 145 km ride)--a late arrival for me.

But the bright spot was the unexpected visit by Ralph and Marge. We couldn't talk too long on the road, though they witnessed me change a tire (and discovered that my bike pump was missing a piece so that it would not work. Thankfully, my biking partner had one.) We met Ralph and Marge again at a SAG stop, where the gas station offered free coffee or hot chocolate. Then at camp, they had dinner waiting for me-- my favourite comfort  food, lasagna and cherry cheese cake. Afterwards, I took them on a tour of our camp. Afterwards, I rejoined them at their trailer and slept on a pull out couch, instead of my tent. It was good to see and talk to someone from back home. THANK YOU very much for the surprise.

That was Tuesday. Wednesday was another long ride--basically another century, 160 kms. Though it is not my official count, as my little computer on my bike (which tells me my speed and distance etc) fell off somewhere at the beginning of the day and it is lost. I will probably have to replace it. Today, we made good time, as we got in at around 2pm. We were pushing it. There was a middle section, though where the route was not marked. Thankfully, we did not get lost, as some other riders had the directions (I usually just follow the markings on the road as the sheet of directions is confusing to me and often has errors.)

We are now in Lansing, Illinois, staying at Illiana Christian High School. Today started foggy and then low clouds, but no rain. The last two days have been relatively flat. After three long days, the next three days should be shorter.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, what a nice surprise for you....a little 'touch of home'! The Lord perhaps had something to do with that? on "what otherwise would have been your most miseralbe day so far". Great news! A little boost!

    ReplyDelete