Friday, August 2, 2013

Into Michigan

I thought the next day should be shorter but it wasn't. It was still over140 kms. It means that in the last four days we did 600 kms. No wonder my body is a little sore. But Thursday was a wonderful ride, despite the length. We rode from Illinois through Indiana and into Michigan. There were good stretches of a beautiful bike trail, with shaded trees and sunlight piercing through. Then we came to Lake Michigan and followed it for a long whole. It made me miss the opportunities of swimming this summer. We camped at Benton Harbour, one of the poorest communities in America. Bikes had to be stored inside and nothing left outside, because of concerns over theft. But I had a good night sleep in my tent.

Friday was a 100 km ride to Holland. It rained for the first three hours, but then cleared up. At one point, I had to turn around, because of a missed turn. My tire got off the pavement and got stuck in the muddy shoulder. I fell off the bike and did a summersault. I was okay as well as my bike, though the bike and I were dirty. But unfortunately the camera in my camel pack did not appreciate being rolled over. The lens got pressed in and the camera would not work. As a result, I had to buy a new one once I got to Holland.

That's too bad because we made a stop just before Holland, where the first CRC was established. The church had a museum in the basement, as well, the original log church stood opposite the newer church. I'll have to use some pictures from my fellow riders.

The short ride meant we were in Holland by 12:30, allowing time to shop, relax and enjoy some R&R. We are staying in Hope College dorms. I have the room to myself, so hopefully I should get a good night's rest.

1 comment:

  1. THE COUSINS FAMILYAugust 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM

    would that first CRC be the Van Raalte church? We did a Back to God Hour bus trip to the denominational headquarters in G.R., the BTGH headquarters in Chicago, Calvin College, and Windmill Island, plus a visit to that church. That was an excellent tour......we went when we still lived in Orangeville, and Grant was BTGH Rep then. Ah memories!! You certainly are making lots of memories on this journey! WOW!! What a journey it is!

    ReplyDelete