Saturday, August 17, 2013

Homecoming

Thursday was a short day--only 83 kms to Brockville. Because we had plenty of time, most of us took a boat tour of the Thousand Islands, from Ganaquoe. It lasted an hour and brought us around the famous Boldt Castle. It was a good break from biking. We still arrived in plenty of time in Brockville, so I walked downtown to Tait's Bakery and enjoyed a herbal tea and cake, while doing some Internet. The Brockville CRC made dinner for us--stomppate and sausage. I got to see Pastor Jack and Jane VandenHoef there.

Friday was a day I was looking forward to for a long time-- biking through home territory. As I got closer to Iroquois, I certainly sped up. The first people I met were Tim and Birgit, at their driveway. As I was greeting Tim, he was introducing himself to me, as if he did not know who I was. He did not recognize me with my new beard and cycling gear. He was not the only one who had to look twice today to recognize me. I met a few more at Iroquois and then the big crowd in Morrisburg. It was good to see so many people from church, some of my ministerial colleagues, as well as some community people at the Playhouse. I stayed there for over an hour. But eventually I had to move on. After all, I had to get to Cornwall. I managed to catch up to my biking partners and we took the bike trail into Cornwall.

Lindsey picked me for the open house and potluck at the church. It was good to see even more people that night. I didn't have time to talk fully with everyone but your presence was an encouragement to me. Brent took me back to camp, where he met some riders from his trip in 08.

I decided not to enter my house, let alone sleep there that night. I needed to have the same routine on Saturday. I was also concerned that if I was home, I might not want to get back to camp. Home will be there, when the tour ends. That's in just over a week. It's hard to believe we are coming to the finish line.

I want to thank all those who were involved in setting up the welcome in Morrisburg. My fellow cyclists certainly appreciated it, as did I. The churches in Ontario have indeed been very hospitable. Thank you also to those involved in the potluck that night. It all reinforces the fact that I have a strong community supporting me in this journey. I could not have done it without your support and encouragement. Thank you again.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pastor John. We regret that we could not be in Morrisburg in the morning or Williamsburg in the evening. Our clan had booked a cottage in Calabogie many months ago and we were expected to and wanted to be there. Sometimes we have to make choices. We look forward to hearing about the tour in a few weeks. Jack and Margo

    ReplyDelete