Thursday, August 8, 2013

Coming Home

These last two days are kind of a coming home.

On Wednesday we crossed the border back home to Canada. It was a day that started off with rain--a heavy thunderstorm to be more accurate. Fifteen minutes after we left, police came to camp to advise people to wait out the storm. But we were already on the road. The three of us passed a whole group that had stopped at McDonalds and at another cafe. We continued on and arrived first at the first SAG  stop (a first for me). Slowly the rain stopped and by the time we reached the ferry the sun was out. We arrived there at 11 am. I had another breakfast. At noon, we started to cross. The border crossing went very smoothly. At the other side, a group of people welcomed us into Canada, with goodies and Tim Horton's coffee. We continued to Sarnia where we made a quick detour to see the bridge. At the school the local community put on a wonderful meal for us. It was a great welcome back to Canada. (Altogether it was a 128 kms.)

On Thursday I came to my hometown. Before Strathroy, a sister in law, my niece and two great nephews stopped along the road to cheer me on. I then left my biking partners to go and visit my mom (whose condition is deteriorating). While there one of my sisters stopped by for a visit. I continued further to visit my brother, another brother was also there. I biked to London on my own, surprised that I could cross most of the city by bike path. At the Christian high school, I was meet with more visitors--an aunt and uncle, a sister and two of her kids, as well as a couple from Williamsburg. The latter took me out to dinner. (Today's ride was a 113 kms.)

It was two good days of coming home.

2 comments:

  1. THE COUSINS FAMILYAugust 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM

    so happy to read about your 'welcome to Canada'...sorry about your Mom. One week from today (Fri.)your church family waits. Looking forward to seeing the tour pass through town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not on FB with you Pastor John, so this is where I will send you our greetings for today, No blog since the 8th, but I did see the pictures you posted. Anyway, Happy birthday today (12th). We hope you have a wonderful day today, travelling to Ajax. Keep safe. See you on Friday.D.V.

    ReplyDelete