Monday, July 1, 2013

Weekend in Payson

So we should have arrived in Payson Monday night, instead we were here Friday night. So how did we spend the time? Let me list the ways:
-some hand laundry, with the outside "laundry facilities"
-being driven to a river, where we walked along the river for two hours, playing around the waterfall, swimming in a few water pools,
-going to McDonalds or another local cafe shop to do WiFi.
-going to a movie (Man of Steel)
-going to church. The group went to two churches. I went to the nearby Lutheran Church, for a typical Lutheran service, followed by lunch at the church, where they served bratwurst. Right after the service, Claire shared about the tour.
-on Canada Day, many of the Canadians wore red, many with Canadian symbols. I had a Canadian bike jersey. We had pancakes and bacon for breakfast.
-we biked to the river this time, which was quite an up and down road. It was good to get back into the saddle. The distance was 41km. Once again we walked the river, exploring the waterfalls, as while as an upstream pool area, good for jumping. Lunch was by the river. It filled the day, from 9 to 3. (I think that my waterproof camera got some water in it. Hopefully it will dry out, or at least that I can recover all the pictures.)
-getting ready to restart the tour Tuesday

And so the time was filled. If we had to be forced to stay in a place for a few days, this was a good place to do so. But I think we are all eager to get going again. The two times of the river helped soften the disappointing news of the tour suspension. It was also a good time to re-energize (though according to the scale I still lost 5 pounds since the beginning of the trip, which surprises me as I have eaten well.) I am also getting to know more people--I am already an honorary member to the Stehouwer family, a couple who are cycling with three of their sons, the oldest of whom it turns out interviewed for our youth position and I drove him around the area at that time.

Continue to pray for the organizers. This suspension caused a lot of logistical problems, as well as expenses. In addition, there is a concern for Wolf Creek Pass, which might be now open to cars (after fires had closed the road for over a week), but not necessarily to bikes. Speaking of fires, a fire broke out close to where we would have bike Friday and Saturday and caused the death of 19 firefighters. Flags are all half-mast here. Pray that the tour can continue without further obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment