Friday, June 21, 2013

Packing and Traveling

There were two components to packing: First, all the bike gear, including the bike. The bike was packed by the bike shop, after a tune up. The rest of the gear was pretty obvious. But the second component of packing was less clear, namely the camping gear. Yes, there were the obvious stuff: tent, sleeping bag, mattress etc, but in terms of clothes that was more open ended. Because we were limited in weight, I went very conservative. I figured that I could always buy clothes, if I needed them. By Wednesday morning, I was basicly packed.

But I didn't travel out until Friday morning. I got up at 2:45 am, after a restless sleep. It was a 6 am departure, going to Chicago (a two hour flight), then a transfer to Orange County Airport (a four hour flight.) I landed just past noon local time (3pm  EST). Thankfully, my luggage came with me. I took a taxi to VanGuard University, which was a short ride away. I quickly unpacked the bike and put it back together, with the help of a few others--though mainly on my own. I was very happy to see that it was back together.

After dinner, which was at 5pm, four of us decided to do a short ride to the beach. The beach was great, though not the traffic to get there. On the way back, I got a flat, as a piece of wire punctured both tire and tube. With the help of the other three riders, who were all more experienced than I was, the tube was soon changed. I'm not sure what it means that I get a flat just 12 kms into being here, but  there are benefits of being part of group.

It's now past 9pm here (midnight EST). After a long day of travel and poor sleep last night, I am heading to bed. We are staying in dorms at Vanguard University, for three nights. It's nice that we don't have to start in tents.

No comments:

Post a Comment