Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Training Done

On June 15 I finished training. Whether it was enough to be able to have a good ride, only time will tell. But here are some final observations on the training:

1. Total distances: I did 1087 kms inside training followed by 2014 kms of outdoor training, for a total of 3101 kms. That's about half the distance of the Sea to Sea ride.
2. I did two rides to Maitland and back, which are my longest rides, at about 120 kms. The next highest was a 90 km ride, plus 6 in the 70 km range.
3. I tended to do three rides per week, less than the chart, but with more mileage than the chart, so that the weekly total was around what the chart wanted, with the overall mileage more than expected.
4. Gatineau Park was my real training Center. While I did my blocks around here, it was the 45km loop up and down hills in Gatineau that was my real test. The park is a jewel in our backyard.
5. While the bike trails in the city of Ottawa and Gatineau are not designed for high speed, they were wonderful to ride on and see the city from a very different perspective. In fact, it was hard to believe that I was actually in the city.
6. The weather: I was a fair weather rider. Why ride in rain (which we had plenty of) when I could work on rainy days and ride on sunny days? So I had little practice in the rain. Nor much in the heat. And heat will be the great challenge in the first week of the ride.

Am I ready? As ready as I'll ever be. Besides it is too late now to any more training. Now it is time to do the real thing.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that your mind is ready for the ride and your body will comply as soon as the "real" ride begins. I'm certain that you will enjoy the adventure and after our experiences with DRS I can truly say that it will be a blessing and encouragement to travel (ride) with a large group that has one vision and one goal. After 9 weeks with these riders it may be difficult to part. May God bless you richly. Jack VG

    ReplyDelete